Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Internet Sales Manager of a central Oklahoma dealership, I'm amazed that I've only had two quote requests for G8's. I mean, after the ad blitz by Pontiac and all the positive press, can someone PLEASE tell me why I still have three of these cars in stock?

I have two black ones (one is #37 of 888) and a white one (#8 of 888), and ppl aren't beating down our door to take them home. Is it because they're base models or is it b/c of the color or what? We're applying all rebates and discounts possible, but why won't anyone take these off our hands? There are very few in the state of Oklahoma, and I think we're fortunate to have the ones we have.

Please give me some feedback at . Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's 2 at a local dealership here that have sat a couple of weeks when they first came in. I think one finally sold. For me here's why i haven't bought one yet:

1. Financially I'll be better to wait a year.
2. I will only be able to afford one new vehicle when I am ready, so I have to make the right choice. They announced a GXP coming out next year. The Challenger will be out later this year, with the RT coming next year, and the Camaro will be out as a 2010 model. Also there's the possibility of a G8 coupe. It wouldn't be smart for me to buy a G8 now, pay $2G in taxes, lose a ton in depreciation, and then find out I could have got a cooler car in 2010.

Anyway that's why I'm waiting. They are a gorgeous car though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm just waiting for my lease to be up. I think most are waiting for the 09's.

Jpic made good points, as well, I want the GXP or Camaro SS in a year or two. I have decided to lease again for 2 years and buy the one I really want to keep.

Thats my big plan anyways :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are they GT's? If not, that is why....If they are GT's, then this is why.

I contacted my local dealer back in Feb. about the cars and he gave me a big song and dance about the car and how great it was. When I asked if "supplier discounts" were going to be available, he laughed and said that they would be adjusted based on the market. After the Ford GT500 crap that has been going on I was sick of "Adjusted" prices (I wanted a GT500 but refuse to pay a premium). They can shove it....I'll take it at supplier price for 0%for 72 months if they want to sell one now.

So, for me, the cocky dealer and their adjusted price predictions ruined it for me and them...

Now I want this...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good points, fellas. That's the stuff I was wanting to hear.

I guess it just seems that with the ad blitzes and the major sponsorships, these babies shoulda been flying outta here and they weren't. Thank you all for allowing me to vent without assuing the sales pitch was coming.

However, once again a few dealers give us all a black eye. I don't think we'll be doing any "adjustments" to pricing, so that dealer's arrogance, which clearly upset runin, has spoiled it for me once again. I would just be happy to sell one, regardless of adjustments.

I also understand waiting for GXP's, Challengers, MB's, or whatever. I also know full well customers who wait and then are unable to find the cars they want. I have driven the Charger against the G8 and I'll tell you there is absolutely no comparison. The G8 is a much better car, so here's hoping the Challenger gets away from the Charger. I do have a couple customers who I am helping out of leases, and another who "just plain wants one".

Thank you all...

·
Registered
276 Posts
92, hang around and maybe you'll get lucky with a forum member (no, not that kind of lucky). In either form the G8 is a phenominal vehicle. But every time I have purchased a new car (avg 1 every 5 years, now going on 6) I have stepped up in performance. For me, losing a second in 0-60 (compared to my factory blower GPGTP) means buying a GT over a base. Price places the GT right in the crosshairs, and the GXP probably off the target.

If the V6 had remarkably better mpg, say 30+ highway, those two would both be long gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I contacted my local dealer back in Feb. about the cars and he gave me a big song and dance about the car and how great it was. When I asked if "supplier discounts" were going to be available, he laughed and said that they would be adjusted based on the market. After the Ford GT500 crap that has been going on I was sick of "Adjusted" prices (I wanted a GT500 but refuse to pay a premium). They can shove it....I'll take it at supplier price for 0%for 72 months if they want to sell one now.

So, for me, the cocky dealer and their adjusted price predictions ruined it for me and them...

Now I want this...

I can tell you were never serious about a G8. You've read the reviews and know it's a great car and priced for about $10K below what it would be from any other car maker and you STILL want a big discount to make a deal happen. THEN you insult our intelligence and tell us by saying you now want overpriced Mercedes that costs 2X+ than the G8. Give me a break. Bring the vasoline with you when you encounter THOSE sales people.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't see the V6's as a "must have" product.

Nice product but not must haves.

The V8's at the local dealership here has had three in and three out same day.

HTH

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can tell you were never serious about a G8. You've read the reviews and know it's a great car and priced for about $10K below what it would be from any other car maker and you STILL want a big discount to make a deal happen. THEN you insult our intelligence and tell us by saying you now want overpriced Mercedes that costs 2X+ than the G8. Give me a break. Bring the vasoline with you when you encounter THOSE sales people.

LOL...My car buying experiences are based more on a whim and what I want at the time. The right vehicle and deal have to be there. I buy too many cars and then don't keep them very long...that is the way I like it. I WAS serious about buying a G8 GT, I drove to Chicago to the autoshow just to look at it and make sure that it was what I wanted to order. After returning home, I called the dealer and found that they had the very car I wanted (minus the sunroof) coming in first. It was a situation where they would not make a deal on it previous to getting the car, "We'll wait until it gets here and then decide how much over to ask". So, I moved on, just like I gave up on the GT500 when they came out. It's not that they can never come back into my interest, it just takes a little convincing($$). If I were to get a C63 it would be next year after someone ate the majority of the depreciation for around $40-$45K.

In the past 5 years I have had:
2002 Mustang GT
2002 SVT Lightning
2003 Cobra 10th Ann.
2002 4-door Tacoma 4x4
1993 Cobra
2001 Tacoma 4x4
2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR
1994 Mustang GT

I miss the 03' Cobra the most...."The car I should have kept."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Around this area (central FL) all the dealers tried to jack the price and I think that killed the sales. This is a V8 car and $4 gas doesn't sit well either. I have an '05 GTO that gets maybe 17mpg on premium. Of course it's supercharged, stalled tranny and the works so I don't expect a mpg "champ". Personally I'm going to wait on the GXP. Bigger engine and I'm hoping, better trim job. The G8 trim is just not that good IMO.

JET

·
Registered
12 Posts
39 Miles, Rear tires worn out... Really.

Now I want this...

The car could not even hit an apple! Why would you want one of these? <reference to Top Gear Episode> Driver could not hit an apple on the Apex of a turn at speed. They also revelaed that the test AMG wore out the rear tires in only 39 miles! Nope, no mistake... 39 miles! There comment was that commutes may prove difficult as a result....

I would have loved every one of those 39 miles, but even I cannot afford that.

A G8 can hit the apple, I checked.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealerships--Own worst enemies?

Trevor,

I went to three dealerships looking for a G8 GT with the premium package. What I was told was pretty disheartening. First, I had a salesman at Willamette Auto Group in Salem, Oregon, tell me to my face that there was no GXP coming out. Then he told me the 5K mark-up was standard throughout the country. Then he told me I had to buy whatever was on his lot and take what I could get, not what I wanted. By the way, they were trying to offload a white 888 car for $41K.

Went to another dealership and was told they would get a few of the V-6 powered G8's in later in the year. They couldn't order a GT for me, and had no way or interest in trying to get one we liked.

Finally went to a small dealership, Mark Thomas Motors in Albany, Oregon. The saleswoman, Nancy Erickson, treated us like human beings. She didn't push, she didn't B.S., and she ordered us the car we wanted. We got a decent price without the $5K mark-up. Buying a car should be that easy and fun, but I think MTM is the exception, not the rule.

I do think the lack of availability with some dealerships, and the difficulty in ordering what you want, not what is on hand, is part of the problem. Also, the dealers seemed to believe the hype surrounding the car would cause a flood of purchases and decided to gouge those who first showed up. I can tell you from what I saw shopping for our G8 that such behavior drove people away in droves. I mean, if you have to gouge, mark the cars up AFTER the demand goes crazy, not before.

Anyway, my two cents as a recent consumer.

John Bruning

PS: The car was worth the hassle. I hope it sells a hundred thousand units and helps save GM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I won't even consider them until they have GXP's sitting on the lots waiting to be sold. :) But a local dealer here sold the GT's they had fairly quickly, they just have a V6 that's been sitting around for awhile.

But yeah, gas prices, limited supply, missing options (ie. BT, XM, TNR, etc), no GXP, unfriendly dealers (ie. crazy pricing), etc. All reasons for people to hold off... at least for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You know, we thought about waiting for the GXP. But, it is only 40 hp. more power, which we can get in a GT with a performance tune and new pipes for a whole lot less money.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that I am replying to and old message but let me tell you about an experiance with my dealership, that I have purchaced 7 cars and trucks from in the past.
I was also very excited to see the G8 come in to my local dealer, I was even there when they got their first one (one of 888) they had just gotten it off of the truck and washed it. I checked it out wanted to drive it but they said that because it was one of the first 888 that they weren't going to let anyone drive it (minus the sales manager). I understood... But then they received another shipment of 3 in red, orange, and white. I made a special trip into the dealership with my wife and kids, saw the same salesman that I always deal with and I was told (by my salesman) that the "new" management wanted me (a consistent repeat customer) to fill out paperwork with the intent to purchase the car before I could test drive it. I was also told that the management may not let me use my GM supplier discount on the car and there weren’t any incentives on the car either. I politely told my salesman that the "new" management has cost him a sale. And very possibly any future sales. I did email Pontiac and I received a phone call from them and they told me that each dealership is "independently owned and operated" and that it is not Pontiac or GM's policy to fill out paperwork in order to test drive a car. I am a GM man and I will probably purchase another Vehicle but chances of me going back to that Dealership to purchase, very doubtful. This stinks for my salesman who I can honestly say I trust hole heartily and I know he wouldn’t “stick it” to me.

So again the hype, dealerships not treating customers properly (customer service) and gouging… Yup that sums up the “greediness” of (some) Americans, get your $$$ and [email protected]@@ the rest.

And that is what has changed my mind, to hold on to the car I have even at 107K miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an internet sales consultant I'm blown away at the number of "premiums" are on this car! Throughout this and one other forum I've found the avg to be around 3000 dollars! We have upwards of 8 G8's in stock and are selling for supplier, less rebates and another coupon for 250.00 off. Blows me away that the big city dealerships can look someone in the eye and tell them that the premium is "nationwide."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts