Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of a V-6 G8 and I'm ready to change the oil\filter for the first time. Any tricks or "gotch-yas" I need to be concerned with? I know it's an oil filter insert (got the part) vs. the old self-contained filter canister. I have some experience with that on my new Vibe.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thx...
Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an Oldsmobile with a cartridge filter. It stuck straight up into the oil pan.

I would pull the filter down to let oil drain out. Then push it back on. On my motor dirty oil would pool in a line somewhere. Pushing it back on would blow that out. Put some new motor oil on the seal of the new filter & push it back on.

I do believe that cartridge type filters have been around much longer than spin on filters. They are just making a comeback because of packaging issues.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'09 3.6L V-6 Oil Change

Changed my oil today, FYI...

1) Oil Pan Drain plug - 1/2" (apparently the Ausies are not Metric?).
Be careful with the rubber washer that's on the plug, it came off on me and was in the waist oil, almost threw it out!
2) Oil Filter housing is on top of the engine on the drivers side under the plastic engine cover (right next to the oil fill). A 15/16th Socket fit's it perfectly. It mentioned to torque to 25 N when replacing.
3) It uses a lot of oil (7.1 Quarts)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Changed my oil today, FYI...

1) Oil Pan Drain plug - 1/2" (apparently the Ausies are not Metric?).
Be careful with the rubber washer that's on the plug, it came off on me and was in the waist oil, almost threw it out!
2) Oil Filter housing is on top of the engine on the drivers side under the plastic engine cover (right next to the oil fill). A 15/16th Socket fit's it perfectly. It mentioned to torque to 25 N when replacing.
3) It uses a lot of oil (7.1 Quarts)
great. just take note that replacing the oil filter, make absolute sure that the old gasket is also removed. Doing your own maintenance can be a pain, but gratifying too. While you're under there, do visual inspection for leaks, check the suspension for loose/worn parts, and dead cats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts