Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 6sp GXP yesterday then drove a friends gt auto. both are very nice. I don't know if i'd rather buy a gt then buy the supercharger for it or buy the GXP because it is gonna be more "rare". also i want to pay cash for whatever i buy so i'm gonna sell off some of my old cars.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's certainly up to you. I went with the GXP because of the 6 speed manual tranny. I probably would have been happy with the 6.0 litre engine in the GT but the tranny was the selling point for me. I know that whichever one you get, you'll be extremely happy!! Good luck with your decision!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My main concern was really driven by depreciation and this is an opinion only and may not hold up over time: I have concerns, based on Pontiac's demise, about the ability of these cars to hold their value and I wouldn't even pull the trigger on the GT until I got the right number. I bought an untitled demo (5,000 miles) from Beck & Masten at a greatly reduced price which (when combined with the 0% interest) should go a long way towards mitigating a significant drop in market value. Because there are so many fewer GXP's (about 50 GXP's in the large Texas markets compared to over 400 GT's for the same market) I simply could not secure a significant enough discount. When you combined that with my "guess" that gas prices could be very high again soon and the elevated insurance costs, I bought a GT. For me it was just a better choice for a "daily driver".

Now, if at the time the next model years are released, there are any unsold 09 GXP's; you maybe able to get the same kind of deal on one that I just got on the GT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd want an automatic G8 V8 so I'd go for the GT and if I needed more power I'd slap a supercharger on it..

For approximately 7 grand installed you should be able to put out 480 Rear wheel hp..with a supercharger...no headers etc..just the supercharger..

Id want an automatic transmission in the G8 GT..

As far as residual values being a determining factor? I don't think you will see either being big winners but cars rarely are..

Especially in this environment..

I think you can get better deals on the G8 GT's..so the money not spent upfront would be the biggest benefit..

Again..JMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts