Pontiac G8 Forum banner

V8 Engine Making Squeaking Noise

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  EricL9 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with the V8. The engine has been making a really annoying squeaking noise for a number of months. I have had belts replaced. I went to have it check out at 4 different places (2 Chevy dealers and 2 local shops). I'm getting mixed signals. The two dealers say something different. One says harmonic balancer $600 repair job and the other says something is wrong with cam shaft and it's $3200 repair job.

Has anyone else had this problem? what is it really?

I just had harmonic balancer replaced for $400. Still didn't solve issue.

#2 ·
My 2012 Camaro (also Zeta platform) developed a squeaking noise on the passanger side of the motor, by the alternator that drove me crazy! After months of searching I found that the heat shield that is welded around the header had popped a weld and the two pieces were rubbing together. I used JB Weld to fix it. I had went with a much more aggressive exhaust and I think the added vibration shook the weld free. Something to check out.

#3 ·
It's probably one of your pulleys. Obviously it's not the harmonic balancer since you got that fixed and the noise remains. I'd give a look at the AC pulley. There's a bushing in there that has been known to wear out on the LS engines. Turn your AC off and listen for the squeak. If the squeak disappears, then you know where the problem is. If it doesn't, there's only about 5 more pulleys it could be. Worn out water pumps make a squeaking noise too.

If it's a pulley issue, many owners notice this noise after changing belts or increasing the tension on the belt. If a GM dealer has looked at this for you and can't diagnose it, the forums are definitely the place to be. I'm sure you're not the only one who's had this problem.

If it is in fact a valve train issue (cam, timing gear, etc), you're going to have to open up the engine. I'd suggest a DOD delete, new cam, new lifters, springs and pushrods. Might as well get it all taken care of while the engine is open.

Best of luck. Pulleys are a cheaper fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.