New member, non-owner - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

New member, non-owner

Hi there.
I don't own a G8... but I'm a life long Pontiac fan.
My first car was a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE (which, to be honest, was probably the worst car I ever owned ever ever ever...)
My Pontiac fandom started at an early age. My mom drove a 69 GTO RAIII 4sp from 1969 to 1972
My dad had a 67 Tempest at the time they met... and the story goes that my mom was a bit of a street racer back then and would constantly be out smacking down 442s, Chevelles and the like in the area.
My great aunt owned Pontiacs as well. I remember seeing photos of her 62 Catalina and thinking "jeez, cars were really big back then"
I was born in 1981, which makes me round about 28...
I have never owned a V8 car, myself.
I've had Volkswagens mainly. Two GTIs and a Scirocco. I fiddled with Saabs for a bit. Built a rather fast WRX Wagon. I helped write the manuals for BMW E30 3-series cars.
So, to put it lightly, I've been a bit of a eurosnob for quite some time now.
I currently drive this:

1995 Audi S6

It's a pretty stout car for what it is. Turbocharged 5 cylinder 20v.
We figure it's got about 280-290bhp and round about 325ft lbs of torque... but I have to get it on a dyno to confirm. So far it's just got a chip and an RS2 Exhaust manifold

It's an old school turbo, so a bit of lag between pedal shoves.

Anyway...
Recently, my mom died in a car accident... and I've been really itching for a V8 now after talking to her friends and how much she loved that car.
At first, I was looking at buying a 68-69 GTO, but prices are... well, it's a 68-69 GTO... they're expensive.

So, I started thinking about the new GTOs, but I don't think the rear is big enough for a baby seat...

But what I've wanted since I first saw it was a G8 GT or GXP.

So I've been on the lookout, but current prices are a bit prohibitive for my budget right now... as much as I like my S6... I think it's time to finally taste a real American V8.
I'm hoping to get one in the near future... I just wanted to sign up here and read up on them. My biggest issue right now is no manual in the regular GT... I really prefer driving stick (I haven't owned an automatic car since my first one...)
I've heard the automatic is fine on the highway but a bit balky in the city.
I was hoping to read about possible shift kits for the 6L80E or any advances in that. I wouldn't mind an automatic, but I'd prefer one that's got the bugs worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode