Future 2008 G 8 GT owner - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Future 2008 G 8 GT owner

Hey everyone. Living down here in Glendale AZ (Phoenix area) and looking at a 2008 G8 GT in the next two days. Black on black. Stock. Will be my full time driver but I'm retired so I only average about 5000 mile/year. It should last me a good long while. I came here to steal all of the info I can about the car and its components. I'm an old Pontiac motor head so this '08 will never stay stock.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksblackg8gt View Post
Hey everyone. Living down here in Glendale AZ (Phoenix area) and looking at a 2008 G8 GT in the next two days. Black on black. Stock. Will be my full time driver but I'm retired so I only average about 5000 mile/year. It should last me a good long while. I came here to steal all of the info I can about the car and its components. I'm an old Pontiac motor head so this '08 will never stay stock.

Mark
Niiiiice! Congrats and welcome back to the brotherhood of Pontiac! Can't wait to see what u do with yours.

Sent from In front of a liquor store in the hood
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I got it home. Here are some pics. I have to wait for the lien title to be replaced with the clear title. Then the driving fun begins. Looks like it's going to take about a week.

6.0 liter (364 CI) aluminum L76 LS. HD 6 Speed automatic (6L80) trans.

Going to have fun with this one. I want to enhance the power but do everything I can to maintain 87 octane use. Power and MPG, BABY!!!

Mark

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 PM

New Ride1

Your gonna love this dude,lots of goodies to make her go faster.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, tomorrow is 21 days since I bought it and the title is still in limbo. It was supposed to arrive for the seller to sign and send to me. Hoping he gets it tomorrow. Mean while I thought I show you my engine compartment in my '63 Pontiac Catalina project. Just for a teaser.

I finished up the mock up of my Cold side intercooler to scoop/hat today. I just have to add the blow off valves to the pipes right at the scoop exit half way down the pipe.

The intercooler stand is kind of crappy so I'm going to try to make a better looking stand.

Mark
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Well fellows. 26 days since purchase, I finally got the title. Went and got the car emissions tested and tomorrow (Thursday) I get it licensed. I'm finally getting to drive my new car. WOOOHOOOOO!

Mark
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Congrats! That's an awesome project you got there too!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Well everyone. Over a month now of using the G8 and I love it. I'm used to really fast cars but the power is good, not breathtaking but good. It's strong enough to keep me happy until I can play with it a little.
My previous DD was/is 2001 BMW 530i. Nice car but soft on acceleration, but the door lock actuator just quit. When that happens with the door closed and locked, there is no way to get the door open. You basically have to destroy the inner door panel to get it out of the way enough to get into the door to release the catch. Once open it's a piece of cake to replace. It's just getting it open. With the door panel destroyed (found a replacement on E-Bay) I got the actuator replaced, buttoned up everything only to find the door lock still would not work. Blew a fuse. Replace fuse and put everything away, go in to clean up and I realize, the flashlight I had placed up inside the door to see the door latch, was still in the door. DOOHHH!!! Go back and tear the door apart again. Check everything again, check for all tools this time, check that the door window all works, so far so good. Hit the door lock for all doors, the rear doors do not lock, nothing, nada. You have to be kidding, so go right to the fuse box. Fuse blown for the locks. Replaced fuse, all is good. Try the window on the door I worked on just out of fear and it works fine, Thank you Lord. Close the Drivers door now to lock it all up for the night and BANG. The drivers door window falls half way down crooked. WTF!!!! Done for the night, I hope someone steals it tonight, it'll serve them right. Next morning, car's still there--damn. Fix drivers widow, it just came out of the clamp. Check everything but all the power stuff is getting sluggish. Try to start it, nothing. OK, don't panic, battery low from all the lights on with the doors open and trying all the power stuff. Try next day, Nothing. Battery done. Buy new battery. Car starts fine, power accessories all work fine. Car is up for sale. If anyone comes to look at it, I'm going to give them the keys, push them into the street, then tell them to start it. If nothing happens, they just got a BMW for towing charges.
NOW, ASK ME HOW MUCH I LOVE MY G8GT?????

Mark L
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Thought I'd add a little interview I had with a local car magazine/paper. In April we had a city wide downtown car cruise. It uses a downtown old Mall parking lot for the show part and then they cruise and do burn outs out on the main street.
Along with the G8 I'm building a 1963 Pontiac Catalina in an old school looking Gasser style. But the motor and drive train will be new modern. Installed is a custom front clip with a '57 Chevy pick up beam front axle, 1960 389 block but everything forged inside, capable 8,000 rpm and hopefully 1500 HP at 25 psi with twin turbos, twin intercoolers, and twin 750 blow thrus on a tunnel ram. Total cubes are 406. Right now it is running (or will be running) a Ford Top Loader 3 speed trans (originally used by GM bought from Ford) but once I get it sorted out and set up for serious quarter times, I'll go with a built 4L80 trans. Anywho. This is the video and the quick interview. The interview starts at the 5:49 time mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_DRbEf_9RI

Hope you enjoy my babbling, trying to think of what to say at the same time as saying it. LOL.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode