RIP - Paul Newman 1925-2008 - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

RIP - Paul Newman 1925-2008

RIP - Paul Newman 1925-2008
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...rorallypix.jpg
Actor, racer, philanthropist and all-around great human being Paul Newman has died. Newman was 83 years old and is believed to have been diagnosed with cancer in 2007. His acting career spanned more than half a century and included roles such as "Fast" Eddie Felson, Cool Hand Luke, and Louisiana Gov Earl Long among many, many others. His Newman's Own food line has raised more than $200 million for charity. His partnership with Carl Haas owning race teams in Can-Am and Indy Cars lasted over 25 years and Newman himself won countless races in various national and international classes. Last month, Newman, a longtime Connecticut resident, went out to Lime Rock Park to take some final laps in his Corvette. We'll miss you Paul!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 PM

I missed having dinner with him last summer by one night. Spent a wine weekend on Seneca Lake and it was a regional SCCA event at the Glen. Paul ate Friday night where we ate Saturday. He will be missed. Let's not forget his most memorable film role related to autos as, of all things, Doc Hudson in Cars.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Paul Newman.....

Women wanted him....
And Men Wanted to Be Him.....

As long as we're going down the "I almost met Paul Newman" vein:

I remember going to see him race in the early 80s, at the inaugural Miami Grand Prix. I remember driving up from The Keys at about 3:00AM and getting there before sun-up. I was the only person at the track. In fact, I walked the entire circut before anybody else showed up.

As the track slowly came to life, we able to go into the paddocks, walking amongst the teams and their cars. I can remember spending most of my time (and film) waiting in the Datsun paddock, taking several photos of Paul Nemans Red, White and Blue #83 Datsun race car and waiting for Paul to show up.

Unfortunately, it poured the entire weekend, so there went that. Oh, they tried to run the race, but the water on the track made for very slow racing. Foot Note: That was the first time I ever saw somebody use a heat knife on a slick to carve water tread. Pretty interesting.

Anyway, a co-worker offered this: To honor Paul Newman, everybody should go out and buy his sauces and dressings, then cook up a big meal and toast Mr. Newman.

Sounds like a delicious idea!

Last edited by G8master; 09-28-2008 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Forgot! They were called Datsuns back then.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM

...at the very least his popcorn while watching Winning, the movie that got him interested in racing...

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpontiac View Post
...at the very least his popcorn while watching Winning, the movie that got him interested in racing...
EXACTLY!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode