New Tag Finally Received - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

New Tag Finally Received

Very fitting for this town, and many others.

New Tag Finally Received-img00026.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Whats does it take to do all that debadging?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1970 View Post
Whats does it take to do all that debadging?
Mine was pretty easy since the car was so new. With mine I could grab the letters and emblem with my fingers and pry/pull them off. If yours have been on a while you may need either a stiff plastic scraper to get under the edge and put a small rolled up piece of cloth under the scraper to create a pivot point and to protect the paint, or use your finger to create the pivot point. Once you have one of the edges partially loose you can then grab it and pull it the rest of the way off.

A lot of people also use either fishing line or dental floss and have had good results. Get a piece about 1.5 feet long and twist the ends around your fingers on each hand and put the floss under edge of the badge and pull the line the opposite direction while using a sawing motion to cut through the double stick tape.

The reason I like to pry them off is that most of time a lot of the adhesive tape will come completely off with the badge. Using the line method most of it gets left on the paint which will give you more to clean up - that's the most time consuming part.

Once all the badges are pulled off I spray the remaining adhesive tape with WD-40 and let it set for a few minutes. Of course immediately wipe up any that running down the paint. Then I just start scraping away at the remaining tape with my fingernail. It took me a good hour to get all the adhesive completely off from removing all the back badges, along with several shots of WD-40.

Be Patient. Never, EVER use anything metallic (like a razor blade scraper) - it will slice right into your paint. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. I don't even like using anything plastic to scrape it with, just my fingernail.

They make other adhesive removers, like Goo Gone, but I've had just as good of luck using WD-40. Supposedly 3M has an industrial strength adhesive remover but I've never tried that.

Once done give her a good coat of a good wax on the affected areas and enjoy ! I always just wax the entire back of the car to make it all look equal.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Great write up. I like to keep mine on but may remove the dealer badge soon. Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1970 View Post
Great write up. I like to keep mine on but may remove the dealer badge soon. Thanks.
You're welcome. I forgot to mention that all of the badges/letters are held on by double stick tape Except the front Pontiac emblem. There are actually holes behind it where the pins go through the body and have some sort of connectors on the backside. I haven't ever taken the time to poke around behind the grill to see exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode