Stock tires in the snow - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Stock tires in the snow

How are the stock 245/40/19's in the snow. Just bought a 09 and a bit concerned driving in the snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Congrats on your purchase Mikey. The stock tires on the Sport Package are "SUMMER ONLY TIRES". These tire are dangerous if driven on snow. If you plan on driving in the winter you will need to purchase a set of 17" or 18" winter tires + wheels or a set of 19" all season tires to mount on your stock 19" wheels. I have a G8 with the V6 and 18" Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. The RS-A's slide too much on wet pavement for me. I read that the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are good all-season performance tires.

Enjoy the car.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ghost rider. I had a feeling it would be a challange driving in Chicago in the winter. I hope the winter is mild or I will have to spring for new wheels and bolognas.

Last edited by Mikey; 10-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 PM

No prob Mikey. My wife has a 2010 Chevy Camaro with the RS Package which includes
20" rims & Pirelli P-Zero Summer Tires. Last year they were efficient at clearing the major streets in Chicago after a snow storm. It's the side streets that gets a little dicey during the winter in Chi-town. I'm trying to save the funds to purchase a set of all-season tires for the Camaro before we get any snow this season. It will be close if I am able to purchase the tires before any snow hits the ground. We do have a third car (2003 Chevy Monte Carlo FWD) to drive in place of the Camaro during the winter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 AM

Thumbs down

I had just purchased my G8 in June, 32,000 km. P245/45R18 Eagle RSA stocks are horrible on ice. We had rain that turned into snow and made the roads icy - I had to drive at a snails pace to keep control. The slight incline of my driveway, made crawling up it impossible. I had to back down and take a run at my garage - don't want the wife doing that.

Things have dried up, but I will definitely need different tires for our winter in Saskatchewan. Understand the tire size is not common, so prices of winter tires are high. Considering getting different rims to increase my tire options and would allow me to be able to change the tires myself instead of taking them to a garage for swapping the tires on the rim. You guys are probably fine with "all season" and I might be too, but since I need another set, I am thinking of going with winter tires. Never had a set of winters on any of my other vehicles - friends that have them, swear by them. Anybody buy tires online and get a good deal?

If I go with different rims, I'm guessing the automatic tire pressure sensor won't work, but will it cause issues with the sensor - other than warning from the computer? Will the sensor still work in the spring when I change my tire/rims back to the originals?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 01:46 PM

The sensors are on the valve stems inside the tires. So, yes when you put your original tires back on in the summer the sensors and monitoring system will work again. Just make sure you put the tires back on in the same position you took them off. If you don't you will have to reset your monitoring system to read the tire positions.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Understand the tire size is not common, so prices of winter tires are high. Considering getting different rims to increase my tire options and would allow me to be able to change the tires myself instead of taking them to a garage for swapping the tires on the rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode