No spare in G8 GT question - G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

No spare in G8 GT question

Does anyone know if there is any technical reason the spare tire for the reg G8 can't be used on a G8 GT? If I asked the dealer to sell me the part(s) would it still fit in the wheel well?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM

None that I'm aware of, as long as trunkwell doesn't have anything else in it compared to base. It is a compact, and sized to work for 50 miles max with the other three 18" wheels, not 19's. Could even be taht a flat 19 might not fit in teh well as will an 18. ALso have dealer check and cross-ref part # fro compact wheel/tire - you might be able to buy cheaper from a salvage yard.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking of sticking with the 18" rims anyway with my future GT (I can't imagine driving on 19" rims living in NYC) so it sounds like getting the base G8 donut will be part of the purchase.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:50 PM

No Tire Change/Removal Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendHacker View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking of sticking with the 18" rims anyway with my future GT (I can't imagine driving on 19" rims living in NYC) so it sounds like getting the base G8 donut will be part of the purchase.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before unless I've missed it .... I have a G8GXP, there is no spare, no jack, no nut cap tool, and no wheel wrench soooo my questions are ....how do you remove the nut caps? How do you rotate the tires w/o these tools. I intend to go with 20" aftermarket wheels and tires and use one of the factory wheel as a spare. I would hate to be 50 miles from nowhere in the middle of the night with a tire that can't be inflated and have to depend on Roadside Assistance. I can understand the logic in replacing the spare with the air compressor, but assuming one would not need a jack or wheel wrench laces you entirely at the mercy of the dealer or roadside assistance...am I reading this right ??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM

My GXP has run flat tires on it -- no need for the spare....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 GXP View Post

I have a 2009 GXP as well. I purchased another wheel, tire, jack handle, jack and lug nut wrench. All of that stuff fits neatly into the spare tire well in the trunk with room to spare.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Cant fit any in mine. Something about 2 black bottles and braided lines in the way!! LOL
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 GXP View Post
Are these the Bridgestone Potenza's?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 AM

car DVD player online store

7-inch monitor touch High Definition (HD) screen Ford Focus Car DVD Player with GPS Navigation System Bluetooth TV
Product Description:

7-inch monitor touch screen double-Din complete car entertainment system
Compatible with DivX,MP4,MP3,multiple regions DVD, VCD, CD and CD-R/CD-RW
Built-in GPS function and Bluetooth for hands free call (play CD/DVD/FM while watching GPS navigation image)
Keys with touch sensor
OSD menu with graphical user interface
USB port and SD slots
Built in TV tuner,PAL/NTSC or SECAM compatible
Built in FM/AM tuner,OS: WIndows CE 5.0
Warranty:One year

car DVD player online store
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Just became a member a few minutes ago and was wondering if anyone has tried to purchase the G8 space saver spare tire that is used in the base model G8 (with the 3.6L engine)? I have a 2009 GT and was able to purchase the jack and other parts from Pace Performance in Niles, OH for $125.00 (including shipping). I was able to get the unique (only used on the G8) 17 inch space saver steel wheel from GM, but they don't handle the actual tire. I called Goodyear, who makes the tire, and they don't have any and are not planning to get anymore. Anyone know where I can get a T155/80 R17 space saver tire? I already tried ebay and craigslist, no luck. Salvage yards don't look promising because only the base G8 had the spare and there was only two years (2008 & 2009) of production. How many totaled base G8 models can there be? I have confirmed that the spare used on the base G8 will fit the GT model and does not interfere with the calipers.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 PM

compact spare problems..

I had similar problems years ago when I sold a used Saturn SL2.. the compact spare (60 psi) had exploded long ago and I wasn't able to purchase a replacement new anywhere. Ended up buying a whole wheel/tire at a junk yard for a totaled car. Mine was 7 years old at the time. How did you confirm the base G8 spare would clear the GT brakes? I heard before this was the reason for no spare...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 PM

ghostman,

I borrowed a space saver tire and wheel assembly from a 2009 base model (V6) G8. I installed it on the front and rear and it cleared both calipers. So I can't see that being the reason GM didn't include one with the GT package. What the reason may have been is the posi rear axle. On the base models they don't have a posi unit either as standard or optional equipment. However all GT models have a posi unit as standard. Because the space saver tire and wheel assembly has a different diameter than the regular wheels, using the space saver on the rear could damage the posi unit because the two rear wheels would be spinning at different speeds. So if I were to get a flat on a rear tire, I'll have to jack up the front, remove a good front tire, install the space saver, lower the car and then jack up the rear. remove the flat tire and install the good front tire (that was just removed). It will take a few extra minutes but it sure beats walking or calling a tow truck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 PM

I recently lost a left front tire to a pothole on I-65 in Alabama. I got a full size spare from Detroit Wheel Shop and am having Eagle GTs mounted on all wheels this week. The fix a flat could not do anything to fix a severely canked rim.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:27 PM

1969GiPpr: Thanks for the great explanation on the posi-traction considerations. I think I'll just call for help if stuck and avoid road hazards! Good job on confirming the clearance on the base car spare... Ghostman.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 PM

I bought the spacesaver and Jack kit from JHP. Pace has one as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the G8Forum.com - Pontiac G8 Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode